Third case of coronavirus confirmed in the country

2020-Mar-09   05:22

Third case of coronavirus confirmed in the country
Third case of coronavirus confirmed in the country, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize confirmed

- Larson Thebe

South Africa has confirmed its third case of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). According to the Health Department spokesperson, Popo Maja, the patient is from Hilton, KwaZulu-Natal, and is the wife of the first person who tested positive for the virus last week Thursday.

“Yes, I can confirm that the third person has tested positive for the Coronavirus. She is the wife of first person to test positive for COVID-19. The couple’s children have tested negative, but as a precautionary measure, they will remain in home isolation until their parents have tested negative,” said Maja.

In a statement, the Minister said the couple is part of a group of ten people who had travelled to Italy and returned to South Africa last week Sunday. The department said it is still awaiting the lab results of the six members of the group in the next 48hours, as the tenth person did not return to the country with them.

The Minister said he also spoke with the first patient who tested positive for the virus and that he was “upbeat and jovial.” The Minister also added that he also spoke with the Doctor who is treating him.

“She confirmed that this patient is responding well and is now asymptomatic. At the right time, as determined by the treating doctors, the patient will be retested to check his recovery progress,” said the Minister in a statement.

COVID-19 has killed nearly 3 500 people and infected more than 100 000 in 92 nations and territories.

Search Newsnote