Khusela Diko is getting her government job back, but just no longer as President Cyril Ramaphosa's spokesperson.
Just hours after news broke that Diko was returning to work, the Presidency announced that she would occupy a different position in the public service.
Ramaphosa’s office confirmed on Tuesday that the disciplinary process against Diko was completed and that she was slapped with a warning.
“Ms Diko, who is currently on maternity leave, will not return to the position of spokesperson to the President but to a different position in the public service,” said the Presidency's statement.
Diko has been on suspension with pay since last year after the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) found that Royal Bhaca Projects - a company owned by the late King Madzikane II Thandisizwe Diko, Khusela Diko's husband, was irregularly awarded a multi-million Rand personal protective equipment (PPE) tender by Gauteng Health department.
The damning SIU report also cost former Gauteng Health MEC, Dr Bandile Masuku, his position.
Earlier this year Masuku failed to overturn the SIU report at the North Gauteng High Court when his application was dismissed with costs.
On Tuesday the Presidency said Diko has been served with a written warning for failing to disclose her husband's business interests.
“The action taken by the Presidency management was in compliance with a recommendation by the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) that Ms Diko be disciplined for her failure to disclose certain interests. This recommendation arose from an SIU investigation into government’s procurement of COVID-19 personal protective equipment," it said.
Tyrone Seale will continue as acting spokesperson to President Ramaphosa..