Msibi back in court after dramatic adjournment

2021-Oct-14   08:29

Msibi back in court after dramatic adjournment

- Dimakatso Genkoe

The bail hearing of African National Congress (ANC) Mpumalanga politician, Mandla Msibi, will proceed this morning (Thursday) at the Nelspruit Magistrate's Court.

Magistrate Suzan Monaledi was forced to adjourn the proceedings on Wednesday after a bom scare. This was just as the court was listening to the testimony of investigating officer, Warrant Officer Boy Bhila.

"The trial sat for a short time before the magistrate got a message that there is a bomb threat, then we had to evacuate the building," said National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson in Mpumalanga, Monica Nyuswa.

This was the second time appeared in court for bail application following his arrest on Monday on two counts of murder and one of attempted murder. Msibi and two others stand accused of involvement in a shooting incident in Agist that left ANC members, Sindela Sipho Lubisi and Dingaan Ngwenya dead, while another party member, Sfiso Mpila, was injured. The incident allegedly took place after a meeting to discuss municipal election candidates.

Msibi and his co-accused have so far pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Mpumalanga provincial police spokesperson, Colonel Donald Mdluli, told Newsnote that an SAPS bomb squad was sent in to check the court building for the suspected bomb.

Scores of people wearing ANC regalia protested outside court, calling for Msibi's release, while others were carrying placards with the "#Re-instate Msibi" message.

On Tuesday the ANC in the province announced that Msibi has been relieved of his duties as the party‚Äôs head of elections and he was fired as MEC for Agriculture. 

Search Newsnote